Best Mini Exercise Bike in 2018
A mini exercise bike, a small version of the normal exercise bike, is an extremely portable exercise equipment which can be placed anywhere, from under your office table to your gym.
However, before buying any equipment, researching on it is very important.
In this article, I have reviewed the best mini exercise bike in 2017 to find out which one is the best.
Benefits of Mini Exercise Bikes
These are small workout equipment which you can easily place under your work desk and exercise while you are working.
A mini exercise bike is like a regular exercise bike with no handles or proper body.
It just has a pair of pedals attached to a small, portable body.
You can easily sit on a chair or even your bed while putting your feet on the pedals of the bike and working out to burn calories while watching TV or working on your laptop.
It is an easy way for people whose jobs require them to lead a sedentary lifestyle.
However, when you look at the size of these bikes, one question that comes to mind is, would they work?
They look pretty ineffective.
However, the fact is that these devices can prove to very helpful for certain people.
Now, you might have some questions about the bike and how effective it can be.
Well, let’s put all your doubts to rest.
Is the Mini Exercise Bike Good for Losing Weight?
Before answering this question, I would like to ask you one simple question: how do you lose weight?
Weight loss means burning extra fat from the body, which can only be done by creating a calorie deficit.
And how does one produce a calorie deficit?
By burning calories.
This leads us to one more important question: how does one burn calories?
Simple – by moving!
And does pedaling require you to move?
Of course, it does!
Now, to answer the initial question, yes, mini exercise bikes are effective for losing weight because by pedaling on them, you are burning calories.
However, there are some factors that need to be considered.
For example, every person has a different rate of losing calories.
It depends on your age, sex, heart rate, and weight.
Hence, no one can actually tell how many calories you would lose by exercising on these mini bikes.
It also depends on the calories you are consuming and your nutrition.
The best thing about these bikes is that you don’t have to take out extra time for them.
You just need to keep sitting on your desk while doing your everyday work.
This easy workout method is as effective as a regular stroll.
Is the Mini Exercise Bike Effective for Toning Muscles?
In order to tone the muscles, one need to first lose the layer of fat over the muscles.
Therefore, the mini exercise bike can tone your body by burning calories and losing weight.
Not just that, but it also tones those muscle groups which are used more while pedaling such as the hamstrings, calves, hip flexors and quadriceps.
The major difference between a mini exercise bike and a regular upright bike is the position of the seat.
The seat of a regular bike is situated in a way that while you pedal, the core muscles are also worked out.
On the other hand, a mini exercise bike doesn’t require you to sit in such a way, so those muscles are not used as much.
There is also a way to tone your stomach by using this equipment, but for that, you need to position the mini exercise bike a bit further away than you might normally so that your legs are stretched and while you pedal, you use the muscles in your stomach.
You often see these bikes defined as table top workout equipment, meaning that you can tone your upper body by working out your arms, chest, and shoulders with them.
However, to be honest, you’d be better off doing a bunch of push-ups instead.
While the mini exercise bike can tone your muscles in the long run, I would not recommend it if the primary reason for getting the bike is to tone your body.
Aerobic and Cardiovascular Fitness
How much workout on a mini exercise bike can be beneficial for you depends on your present fitness level.
Remember that these bicycles are not created for people who want to be Lance Armstrong; they are just a simple substitute for walking in a park.
These bikes are more suitable for people who have never done any proper workout who can be slowly brought to an enhanced fitness level after a period of time.
However, if you expect it to work like a regular exercise bike or a treadmill, you are in for a world of disappointment.
One thing that these bikes are useful for is a simple, low-intensity exercise that enables you to burn fats, helps in the battle against cholesterol, maintains blood sugar level, tones the muscles gently, keeps the joints healthy and improves blood circulation.
How to Choose the Right Bike
There are various varieties of mini exercise bikes present in the market with different price ranges and qualities, so choosing the right one can be tough.
In my opinion, the kind of resistance you want should be determined first because this usually defines the budget you are going to need and will make your choice significantly easier.
Generally, there are three different types of resistance systems:
A motorized resistance system turns the pedals for the user who just need to keep their feet on them.
These kinds of bikes are specially designed for elderly people with joint problems.
They also encourage and stimulate blood circulation.
A mini friction exercise bike creates resistance for users while pedaling.
This makes it a bit tough to pedal the bike and takes more strength, which is why it burns more calories.
It comes in different varieties with different friction levels that you can easily customize.
A magnetic resistance system exercise bike generally consists of a flywheel which is turned by the pedals.
This flywheel generates resistance for the user by a strong magnetic field.
Following are the reviews of the top 5 mini exercise bikes that I have tried.
Read below to find out which one is the best mini exercise bike in 2017.
MagneTrainer – ER Mini Exercise Bike
The MagneTrainer – ER Mini Exercise Bike is a lightweight, compact and affordable exercise equipment.
It has a strong steel frame and a 15-inch broad base.
It uses a flywheel magnetic resistance system with more than double the range of resistance than most magnetic system exercise bikes.
The pedals have strong Velcro tapes as straps, which can fit on every foot size.
MagneTrainer claims that the exercise bike works with both hands and feet, but as I have discussed before, using it with hands is not very practical.
- This mini exercise bike is very lightweight and portable.
- It has a wide range of resistance levels, so you can easily set it to the level you are most comfortable with.
- It offers outstanding stability because of the 15-inch wide frame.
- The ER Mini Exercise Bike is equipped with a monitor system that displays the speed, time, calories and distance. This display monitor is powered by a single AA battery, which is included in the package.
- The one thing that is great about the exercise bike is that it is very comfortable. With a 15-inch wide base, your legs have just the right amount of distance between them to keep you comfortable.
- The parts are not firmly assembled, and it feels like it is going to fall apart.
- It is apparently not the quietest bike around and makes a lot of clunking noise while pedaling.
DeskCycle Desk Exercise Bike
The DeskCycle Desk Exercise Bike is a magnetic system mini bike with 8 calibrated settings.
Its pedal length is 3.5 inches, so you can put your feet on it comfortably.
The magnetic resistance provides a quiet and smooth pedaling, so you can easily put it under your desk without having to worry about your co-workers getting disturbed.
It is equipped with a 5-function display and for accurate calorie burned calculation, it has a calorie calculator on its website.
- The DeskCycle Desk Exercise Bike is designed perfectly to fit under your desk. I didn’t have to move anything around (except for my dustbin which was sitting in the middle) to accommodate it under my desk.
- Before this exercise bike, I had another mini bike, which was so loud that even after putting it under my desk, I never used it because my co-workers would complain all the time. With the DeskCycle, I can easily pedal while working without producing any noise.
- The bike is completely hassle-free and easy to use.
- Its pedals can get loose with time, so you need to keep using a wrench to tighten them again and again.
- I had a rolling wheel chair on my desk in the office, but when I use the DeskCycle to pedal, the chair kept rolling back. Hence, I had to change my chair with a stationary one, so this is one thing you might want to keep in mind.
Cyclecizer Aerobic Pedal Exerciser Bike
The Cyclecizer Aerobic Pedal Exerciser Bike is a motorized pedal bike for the elderly.
It has different speed settings and a multifunctional display to keep track of your improvements.
It helps maintain your blood pressure and heart rate.
However, this bike is not for strength buildup or muscle formation; it is just for blood circulation and joint problems.
- The Cyclecizer Aerobic Pedal Exerciser Bike is a high-quality bike with long durability.
- The bike can not only be used with your feet, but it can also be used with your hands.
- It is a good replacement for walking down the park and is great for losing weight.
- The bike cannot be used without the motor. If I want to pedal normally using resistance, I cannot do it with the Cyclecizer Aerobic Pedal Exerciser Bike.
- If you are looking to build muscles or strengthen your bones, this bike is not for you.
- I wanted it for office use so that I can put it under my desk and use it while working, but I was very disappointed by the fact that it does not stay put.
- The motor is very loud, which is another reason why I couldn’t keep it in the office.
EXEFIT Pedal Exerciser
The EXEFIT Pedal Exerciser is made up of high-quality steel and works with a friction resistance system.
It is completely detachable and easy to install, with a hassle-free and easy storage quality.
It has a screw for adjusting resistance levels as per your comfort.
Usually, most mini bikes slip while pedaling, but that’s not the case with the EXEFIT, as it has 4 rubber anti-slip pads that keep it in its place.
- The EXEFIT Pedal Exerciser is particularly easy to assemble with all the tools, from screws to wrench, present in the box.
- The anti-slip pads are effective and hold it in place pretty firmly.
- The pedals it is equipped with are completely adjustable according to your foot size.
- It offers smooth pedaling with minimum noise, but if you want to keep it in the office, it might not be the right choice for you because, like all friction resistance systems, it still makes some noise while pedaling.
- The metal portions, although insulated by rubber pads, heat up to a certain level. It can get uncomfortable if you use it for more than 10 minutes, which is rather disappointing as I intended to use it for my private office desk so that I can use it throughout the day from time to time.
Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Mini Exercise Bike
The Sunny Health and Fitness Magnetic Mini Exercise Bike is an extremely portable and lightweight device with a magnetic resistance system.
It has a handle on its body for easy portability and safety straps on the pedals.
It has up to 8 levels of tension control, which means you can have 8 different resistance levels.
- It is a highly portable device with a light weight.
- It offers comfortable and smooth pedaling.
- It uses a flywheel magnetic resistance system with more than double the range of the resistance than most magnetic system exercise bikes.
- Multiple resistance levels can be easily set up according to your comfort.
- The product looks sturdy and doesn’t give any indications of an easy fall, which is a huge comfort.
- If you put it under a regular size desk, your knees would probably hit the desk while pedaling. To avoid this, you can either increase the height of the desk or take the middle drawer out.
- The equipment is generally quiet, but when you use it for more than 30 minutes, it starts making a loud clanking noise.
- The bike slips on most surfaces, such as carpet and hardwood, so you need to put something below it to keep it in its place.
- If you weigh more than 220 pounds, this bike is unfortunately not for you as it can endure only up to 220 pounds of weight.
There are many types of mini exercise bikes present on the market, and each of them works in a different manner and would suit a person with different requirements.
Every person would have a different idea of what the best mini exercise bike in 2017 should have.
However, if you ask my opinion, I would say the DeskCycle Desk Exercise Bike is the one for me.
I needed a mini exercise bike to put under my desk at the office so that I can lose calories even while working.
I wanted a portable, lightweight, sturdy and, most importantly, quiet equipment and this bike has all these qualities.
The magnetic resistance system works excellently with varying tension options, and this equipment is the quietest I have ever come cross.
Hence, for me, the DeskCycle is the best mini exercise bike in 2017.
If you also want these qualities in your mini exercise bike, you should consider this option as well.