Best Jump Rope in 2018
Jumping rope is a highly effective way to get rid of extra fat from the body and develop an admirable muscular physique.
There are various varieties of jumping ropes present in the market, claiming to be the best.
I have done a brief review of the best-rated products here to find out which one is the best jump rope in 2017.
Benefits of Jumping Rope
When you hear the word “jump rope,” the first thing that comes to your mind is probably that it’s a boxer’s exercise or little girls use it.
However, you need to believe that the time spent on the simple act of jumping rope is actually more beneficial for you than a similar time spent jogging.
To jump rope, you don’t even require a lot of space or equipment; just one sturdy rope, and you are good to go.
A jump rope does not even take much space.
You can easily slip it into your bag or backpack and bring it with you to work, trips or school.
You don’t even have to have exceptional strength to begin jumping or get a gym membership.
You can begin it in your home right now while looking after your kids, listening to music, or watching television.
Here are all the reasons why you should take out your old jump rope or buy a new one and start jumping:
It is scientifically proven that 30 minutes spent on jumping, even at a moderate speed, burns way more calories than 30 minutes spent on the track.
It burns calories at a rate of around 0.2 calories per jump, which means 100 calories per 1000 jumps.
Hence, if you do 60 to 80 jumps in a minute, you are losing around 11 to 15 calories per minute, which translates to 330 to 450 calories per half an hour.
If you step up to 100 to 120 jumps per minute, you lose 20 to 25 calories in just one minute, which is equal to 600 to 750 calories per half hour.
If you compare it to jogging, you lose around 400 calories per half an hour if you jog at a rate of 8 min/mile, which is almost equal to jumping rope at a moderate pace.
That means, if you do just 3 sets of a 10-minute round of jumping even at a moderate level, you are good to go for a day.
No need for a gym membership, tough body strength exercises or any weight lifting.
All you need to do is pick your rope up and start jumping.
Improves Bone Density
Scientists who have researched on the bones of athletes and the elderly have concluded that the finest exercise to enhance bone thickness is basically jumping.
According to an experiment done on mice in Japan, the mice who jumped up and down for just 40 times in seven days expanded their bone thickness in just 24 weeks, a density they easily upheld by jumping here and there for as low as 30 or 20 skips every week.
Jumping is an extraordinary exercise that your bones are already equipped for, unlike many other strength-based exercises that you cannot start without first building up a particular strength level.
You don’t even have to do a ton either; just start with a moderate pace and gradually pick up and extend your time.
However, there are certain scenarios where you need to consult a physician first before picking up a rope.
For example, you need to consult a physician if:
- You are above forty and already facing bone trouble.
- Your bones have a history of cracks or fractures.
- Your family has a history of arthritis or osteoporosis.
Good for Your Heart Health
According to specialists, jumping rope can enable individuals of every age group to accomplish a range of health goals.
It is great for your cardiovascular health, increases endurance, gives you a muscular physique, and improves coordination.
Researchers say that in order to improve your lung and heart health, you need to indulge in cardiovascular activities such as skipping rope for around 12 to 20 minutes for 3 to 5 days per week.
Jumping rope is ideal for people who want to feel lighter on their feet.
It is the perfect cardiovascular activity that also enhances muscle endurance.
It is also being prescribed for grown-ups increasingly in light of the fact that it satisfies two out of the four fundamental components of fitness related to health, that is, muscle endurance and heart performance.
Better Breathing Condition
Apart from improving your stamina and heart health, jumping ropes also improve your breathing efficiency.
This would be very helpful in other physical activities such as climbing stairs, jogging, swimming and other sports.
You won’t find yourself catching your breath after sports and exercises as often.
Makes You Smarter
Now, this would definitely surprise you.
Jumping actually makes you smarter.
According to a research center, jumping rope helps in the further growth of the right and left hemisphere of the brain.
This improves your ability to stay aware and increases long-term and short-term memory, and you will find yourself more alert and have a higher craving to read.
Improves Your Ability to Stay Calm
In the sport of boxing, you must have noticed that boxers keep jumping up and down throughout the game.
They do that because it makes their mind and body work at the same time, which leaves them in a very calm state.
These movements have a certain harmonious and synchronous coordination where all the secrets to their success lie.
Completely Portable and Fun
What more do you want?
It is a completely portable equipment, and you can easily carry it with you to school and road trips.
Unlike other gym equipment, it does not require any extra space or weigh tons of pounds.
You can easily do it anywhere as well.
You just need a flat surface and your rope.
Steps to Begin Jumping Rope
To begin jumping rope, you don’t actually need to have any equipment other than a rope.
However, there are a few things that you need to consider before you start jumping.
- Get a sound and sturdy rope. If you have one of those plastic lightweight ropes that kids jump in school with, it will do. However, it is better to buy a rope that is perfect for your height and is strong. Most ropes have a length of around 8 to 10 feet. You can alter your rope by slicing, but keep one thing in mind: once it is sliced, you cannot undo it.
- Pick a decent, leveled surface on which you can comfortably jump. You can also do it on grass or other surfaces, but make sure no strand of grass gets stuck to your feet.
- If you are a woman, make sure you wear a sound, high-quality sports bra to prevent ligaments stretching and unnecessary pain.
A strong and sturdy rope is very important for a complete, uneventful jumping experience.
Here’s the list of the best jump ropes in 2017 that you can choose from.
Kyto Jump Rope
This jump rope by Kyto is an adjustable, 10-foot long rope, which can be adjusted easily and quickly according to your preferred length.
The rope is made up of steel cable and sleeved with PVC for your protection and improved durability.
It is also a completely tangle-free rope.
It gives you a fast and smooth rotation because of the ball bearing technology used in the handles.
It has 7.1-inch long handles which are equipped with anti-slip technology and are comfortable to hold while skipping.
It also comes with a money-back guarantee which you would hardly have to use, but there’s always an option available if you are not feeling satisfied with your piece.
- The jump rope is extremely adjustable and you can easily vary the length as per your comfort and height. Hence, you don’t have to cut your rope according to your size; you just need to adjust it, which makes it ideal for multiple users.
- The one thing that is great about this rope is that it is very comfortable. The 7.1-inch long grips make it very comfortable to hold.
- It comes with varying weight. Some people like to jump with a heavy rope, while others like it a bit lighter. The Kyto is perfect for both. You can easily take the iron coil out if you like it lightweight.
- When you sweat, the handles of the Kyto tend to get slippery.
WOD Nation Speed Jump Rope
The WOD Nation Speed Jump Rope is famous for its exceptional speed and heavy endurance training.
It has an incredibly fine speed with a very stable and smooth swing that helps you recover easily from imbalances.
It is completely and easily customizable with a cable cutter to be used in doubles.
The rope is equipped with 4 bearing technology, two on the handles and the other two on the cable.
The handles are made of nylon resin with 6.7 inches length.
It comes with an 11-foot long cable which you can adjust according to your height by simply cutting it down.
- The WOD Nation Speed Jump Rope has no competitors in terms of speed. The thin handles give a perfect motor control and ball bearing technology, providing a smooth and fast spin.
- It is a very sturdy workout equipment that is not just affordable, but it also comes with a money-back guarantee, so there’s really no risk of buying the WOD Nation Speed Jump Rope.
- After a few rounds of skipping, the handles get a bit slippery and it gets a bit hard to hold onto them.
- The cable is extremely lightweight, so it gets a bit hard to keep the momentum going, especially at a higher speed.
RPM Fitness Speed Rope 3.0
The RPM Fitness Speed Rope is an advanced competition-level skipping rope.
It allows the jumper to attain as high a speed as they can go.
The rope does not take a lot of strength to swing and is a particularly lightweight rope.
It is equipped with tough metal handles which are 5.5 inches long.
The top part of the handle is for the rotation of the rope.
They come with very long cables that measure 12 feet, and you have the freedom to easily cut them according to the length you prefer.
- Unlike metal-engraved ropes, the RPM Fitness Speed Rope is not as heavy and is highly portable. You can easily fit it in your bag without it increasing much of your luggage weight.
- As the rope is not too heavy, you don’t need to rotate it as hard, which means when it hits you accidentally, it won’t hurt you too badly.
- The RPM Fitness Speed Rope 3.0 comes with an extremely long 12-inch cable, which is easily resizable by cutting.
- The metal handles are great to hold, but because there is no foam or rubber grip, they might cause blisters on the jumpers’ hands after some time.
Fitness Insanity Jump Rope
Fitness Insanity Jump Rope is a high-intensity fitness jump rope.
The cable is very light and portable with a full 360-degree smooth rotation and a ball bearing system.
It is highly adjustable and can be resized for both kids and adults easily.
It is extremely fast and can allow you to make 6 or 7 skips in a second.
It is best suited for weight loss exercises.
- The Fitness Insanity Jump Rope is the lightest jump rope available present in the market.
- It gives a smooth rotation with a very high speed of up to 6 or 7 skips without much effort.
- People who are not looking to attain muscles in the areas of arms and shoulders do not need to jump with a very heavy rope. The Fitness Insanity Jump Rope gives a very effortless and free feel to the jumpers with considerably less arm fatigue.
- The cables are very lightweight, which works fine at a low speed, but when you want to pick up the speed, you need to keep whipping the rope around or else it will lose its inertia.
RAPIDE Jump Rope
The RAPIDE Jump Rope is a durable, lightweight rope with long, tapered handles.
It comes with 2 extra sets of screws and 10-foot long cables of 2 different thicknesses.
They provide a very easy grip without slipping, even during advanced workouts.
It is equipped with a full 360-degree rotation in a ball bearing system, which increases the power of the rotation while providing highly flexible movements.
The rope has an adjustable length with screws on both sides; you just need to loosen the screws to adjust its length.
- The movable head of the handles, which holds the cable, allows the cable to change positions and angles while skipping.
- The double-sided screws on the cable make it very easy to adjust the length of the rope.
- The cable comes in two different thicknesses, 2.5 mm and 3.5 mm, which means that the rope can provide you with a different speed and weight. Hence, you can choose a cable that is more suited to you.
- The cable of the RAPIDE Jump Rope hits very hard that it seems like you are being whipped.
- I recommended to a friend who used to work out 5 to 6 times a week for about 15 minutes or so, but the rope did not hold up. It broke in two within 6 months. There are more durable ropes at the price.
The best jump rope in 2017 might vary from person to person.
Every individual has a different style of jumping and is comfortable with different types of ropes.
For example, some people prefer lightweight ropes, while others might want to own a heavier rope.
However, there are certain things that every rope need to have such as comfort, easy adjustability, and smooth rotation.
Keeping all these things in mind, I think the best skipping rope in 2017 is the RPM Fitness Speed Rope 3.0.
It is a lightweight and highly portable rope with exceptionally fast speed.
The rotations are smooth and sharp, and you can jump as fast as 7 skips per second with minimum effort.
The metal handles are a bit rough, but it’s nothing a good coat of grip tape cannot solve.